[nagdu] So and so lets me pet their dog.

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 12 17:32:26 UTC 2010

You're right about how leash corrections -- or anything we do with our dogs
-- can be misinterpreted by the public.  Who will then leap to interfere!
Yet leash corrections -- some quite sharp, depending on the dog -- are what
guide dog users are often taught because that is how the dogs are trained.
Which is okay, since it clearly works, and so long as the collar is properly
fitted and wide enough not to cause injury and so forth, it doesn't seem to
hurt the dog as much as it would hurt our puny little necks...  Or so it
seems.

Okay, so when I'm around someone who uses sharp leash corrections -- guide
dog user or otherwise -- I wince because I get sympathy pains in my puny
little neck.  Also, I've trained using different methods, so it seems
backward to me.  Frankly, I don't like having to expend that much energy.
/smile/

I have had people express utter shock that I was abusing my dog by gently
calling her a 'scurvy cur."  Oh, no!  The wounds to her psyche will never
fade.  /lol/  Even a firm pull on the Halti when she's being rebellious
brings commentary.  I don't use a sharp tug; I just resist enough to stop
her straying nose and begin to bring it back; she used to do the same to me
at the same time when she was in a mood.  The scurvy cur!  /grin/  A couple
of people have expressed horror that I would inflict such a torture device
as the Halti on the sweet, innocent creature.  Well, Mitzi agrees with them,
but mostly because it cramps her style.

Anyway, the guide dog trainers around here are praised for using sharp
corrections, as are the puppy raisers.  I think GDB has changed some of
their methods so that leash corrections aren't emphasized as they were.  But
when they do it, it's a good thing.  When a blind guide dog handler does it,
that's dreadful!  Sigh.

Hang in there.  It sounds like you're building up a good repertoire of
techniques that work without causing all the shock and horror.  I don't have
a school to be reported to, thank heavens, although I guess I've been
reported to DD a couple of times.  He thinks its funny when he tells me
about it.  Unless it has something to do with crossing the street.
Apparently, as is obvious to many while I remain naively oblivious, Mitzi is
out to kill me!  Sigh.  So then I get to explain it all again to Mr. Worry
Wort and spend a few days not able to stick my head out the door to check
the weather without his grabbing the car keys.  /lol/

People are funny.

Tami Smith-Kinney