[nagdu] So and so lets me pet their dog.

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 9 16:35:06 UTC 2010

Deanna,

When other guide dogs are around, I have a heck of a time not being a
compulsive drive-by petter myself.  Bad me!  /lol/  Some of the guide dog
users I know about town are pretty good about letting their dogs get all
lovey when the dog isn't working, but then it's hard for me to remember not
to run hug the dog if I happen to know it's there when we pass on the street
or something.  Well, now that I have my hands full of my own guide dog, she
keeps me in line, I guess. /grin/

I used food rewards to teach Mitzi to accept greeting without having a
meltdown and now use food rewards to convince her to chill on the social
butterfly act.  /smile/  She's actually pretty good most of the time, but
she does have her days.  /smile/

Do you know any clicker training?  It's a handy tool to use positive
reinforcement to counteract self-rewarding behaviors.

It can also be useful to have someone around to help you work on teaching
your dog to ignore those distractions by distracting the dog in a controlled
environment so that you can deal with the behavior constructively where
there's not a lot of hubbub around.

Then again, some dogs are just hussies! /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney