[nagdu] always taking the dog was guide dogs

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 17:26:27 UTC 2010

Though my Gucci isn't trained for laundry work, she will pull things
out of the clothes hamper that I've just put there, sometimes right
after and other times when I'm in the shower. And then I find a stray
sock, T-shirt, or other item on the floor as I'm walking back over to
the dresser for something. She will also pull my socks off the couch
right after I've taken them off. Really, one day I pulled my socks
off, turned to put the shoes under my coffee table, and when I turned
back, not 5 seconds later, the socks were gone. She's good. One of her
classic clothes relocation incidents happened when we were still in
training in fall of 2008. I had dropped a pair of socks one day, and
though I found one almost immediately, I didn't find the other one. At
that time I didn't know about her clothes relocating tendencies. So I
looked all around the place for that stray sock, and even brought my
instructor and one of the house maids into look for the sock with no
result. It wasn't until I was packing to leave the next day, when I
was pulling stuff out of the crate she had been using for the last
week or so, that I found the stray sock in the corner of the crate.
I'm sure that when I looked at her, she had this total blank look on
her face like, "What? I didn't do anything." I sat back and laughed. I
think somehow I knew that she was going to be different than my first
guide. though my first guide would have moved clothes, he would not
have stolen a stray sock and kept it for his own benefit. I'm
convinced that Gucci does htis mainly to be sarcastic and to prove
that she can. It doesn't matter that I slap the hamper and tell her
no, she will still pull things out for her and my own enjoyment, or i
should say for her enjoyment of seeing me go, "Now where did I put
that thing?" That's a thinking dog for you, grin. I also have to be
mindful of where she is and where I drop clothes that i'm pulling out
of the dryer, lest she get a hold of something and relocate it
somewhere else, grin. Sometimes I'll put her on the tie down chain to
try and prevent this from happening, only to have her steel a stray
sockt that I missed and take it somewhere, grin. I have to give her
credit though, she knows to relocate things to be in my more frequent
walking paths so that I'll step on it and then do a doubletake. The
very few times that she's made messes in the apartment, she's done
them in places that are just outside of my normal walking paths, as if
she's saying, "hahahaha, this shows you not to neglect me a park time
or take me out later than usual." that devil, grin.

Wayne