[nagdu] presentation about blindness

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 16 17:52:29 UTC 2010

True!  Every now and then I will be going about with my cane and find myself
having an odd interaction with an adult...  Only to realize that they have
no idea what that long white stick is all about!  I expect them to know what
it means, so I'm operating on the assumption they have a clue that I'm
blind...  They don't get that, so my part of the conversation and some of my
body language and stuff must seem very odd to them.  Every now and then I
remember that my pupils are really huge sometimes (maybe still all the time)
because my brain still can't get over telling them to let in more light so
it can see!  My eyelids also pop wide open without my realizing it, probably
for the same reason.  Last time I saw a digital picture of myself, I looked
like a crazed drug addict to me!  So there I am saying weird things with the
crazed druggie eyes...  I think the appearance must be moreso on days when
there's good sunlight and I keep forgetting to keep my sunglasses on,
because it means that I'm trying to "see."

So I will think they're responding in a way that seems to me indicates
they're uncomfortable with my blindness...  When in actuality, they're
possibly just freaked out that the crazy druggie is insisting on carrying on
a conversation with them like everything is normal!  /wince/  I don't know
that this is what is going on, but I really wonder.  I tend to think my eyes
are still perfectly normal, thank you, so I look them in the eye and smile
pleasantly...  /lol/

I wonder if, with kids, it's different in a presentation than when you just
end up talking to them at random.  Especially Mark's 5th graders.  They're
starting to be more influenced by peer pressure, so being in a group
probably affects their behavior.  Poor kiddos are no doubt curious as can
be, but they don't want to be uncool!

Second and third graders I meet at random always ask if the cane is a light
saber.  /lol/  I will let them hold it if they ask, and they immediately
want to start swinging it around like a sword.  /lol/  That is *not* a toy.
But being able to talk to them about it and let them realize it's just a
thing, nothing weird there at all, is a good thing.

The older preteens will try to use it the way I do, but sneakily, like they
don't want to be so uncool as to try out a white cane to see if it works.
Unless they know me better, then they seem pleased when I catch on to what
they're doing.  My little hiking buddy will find a good stick in the woods,
which seems perfectly natural to me, since I used to do the same thing.
Only every now and then I will notice that she's testing it out with her
eyes closed.  If I mention that I notice, she just smiles.  /lol/

When I'm around the toddler cousin, if I'm sitting down not using the cane,
she will very seriously put her hand around it, and when I let her have it
will proceed to examine it thoughtfully, then stretch it out in front of her
to walk with it.  /lol/  It's just a bit too long for her, but she is so
serious about it.  Then, when something clicks for her and she has a
lightbulb moment, her face will light up the entire park!  Too, too cool.

Anyway, I'm more terrified of groups of children than they could possible be
of me, blind or otherwise.  For those of you brave enough to face such
terrible dangers, though, more power to you!  It's fun to hear how you
communicate with them and how they communicate back.

Tami Smith-Kinney