[nagdu] presentation about blindness

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Thu Mar 18 23:47:17 UTC 2010

Hi Mark,
I, too, speak to school kids with my dog.  I also demonstrate the white cane
as well.

I think people view the dog as superior to the cane because they think the
dog just drags us around and people "bump" into stuff with the cane. they
don't realize the team work involved in for sucessful guide dog work. they
don't understand about how the white cane touches stuff when we use it.  And
they see the people with poor skills - more noticeable when the person is
using a cane.  I've seen my share of poor guide dog users as well.

When I talk to kids, I equate the teamwork guide dog and handler use to
teamwork in sports.  Many of the kids are in one sport or antother and
understand the concept of team work and the role each player has in the
game. they really get it - much more than the adults - maybe I should use
the sports concept with them, too!

Another thing I see differently is when I'm walking down the sidewalk with
my cane, people walk right through me like I"M the one who is supposed to
see them and move out of their way.  when I have my dog, I don't have this
problem. I wondered why. Someone did tell me that the other pedestrian and
my dog do eye contact like two sighted people do to avoid collision.

Lyn and Landon