[nagdu] presentation about blindness

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 17 15:52:38 UTC 2010

Julie,

That was a good description.  And I agree about learning good cane travel
and other adaptive skills first!  I confess I complained and moaned and
groaned about the inconveniences of cane travel and rhapsodized to myself
about how wonderful a dog would be when the time came, but...  I know that I
needed the cane travel to learn and solidify my O&M skills and to learn to
process my environment nonvisually.  Learning to listen to what the cane was
telling me while also learning to listen and smell and feel what everything
else was telling me was really hard, but really necessary.  Then, of course,
I had to re-adjust to having my dog take me around things I used to find and
figure out with my cane.  /lol/

I guess I've been doing it long enough that neither feels like all the work
it used to, and I just go out with my cane now and then to keep up my
skills.  I definitely prefer dog.

I'm still a little surprised when someone says something that reminds me
they assume my dog takes care of me.  /lol/  I mean, I think she's a pretty
amazing critter, but even she has her limits!

I'm interesting in hearing about your presentation to the Lion's Club about
owner-training.  Will you share your presentation when you have it done?

Tami Smith-Kinney