[nagdu] presentation about blindness

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 19 17:31:41 UTC 2010

Julie,

I've found that the "No, but thank you for asking," response tends to get me
and Mitzi past the disruption much faster than saying something that is more
likely to invite conversation.  So when we're in a hurry, I use that.  Also,
I can say it in a really heartfelt way because of the people who *don't*
ask.  When people do ask, and I'm in a mood to stop and possibly let myself
in for a chat about my dog, I thank them just as profusely.  Good behavior
needs to be rewarded! /grin/

Let me know your findings.  Maybe you'll come up with something that works
better than my current repertoire.  /grin/

And good luck with your presentation!  I'm not sure I could come up with a
basic draft outline -- with one word for every point -- that could be
compressed into 15 minutes.  I have a repertoire of generalized short
answers for casual conversation, and am getting better at hitting the main
points when people ask more questions.  Still!  Just summing up the main
factors in the decision to get a guide dog makes for a pretty long list.
Then add the factors in deciding to owner-train instead of taking advantage
of the programs that do all the socialization and training work
professionally...  I think about it now and then and am thinking about
writing an essay about it, only just looking back and adding it all up in my
head makes my brain melt.

I'm sure you'll do great, and I'm really interested to hear how it goes.

Tami Smith-Kinney