[nagdu] presentation about blindness

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Fri Mar 19 14:50:31 UTC 2010

To be fair, I've met some sighted people who use the same language and
feel that their dogs are their best friends.
When people would say "I bet she helps you so much" I'd sometimes ask
what they meant. Helping isn't always task driven, one can be helped by
someone's simply being there.  My daughter was barely a year old when I
retired my second dog. She helped me greatly by cuddling with me while I
read Cesar Milan's book which was a book I used in my deciding tree, and
also helped me by just sitting with me on the floor and letting me cry
when I'd taken the dog to her new home.
In all honesty, my daughter was more help then my husband. Husband isn't
a dog person and probably never will be.  He simply doesn't "get it".
My daughter, even as a very young person is a dog person and does
understand.