[nagdu] Walking beside Highways WAS RE: Amount of walking

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 23:06:08 UTC 2010

I don't know how much my input counts on this, as I didn't do it with
a guide dog, but I lived in Spring Lake, NC for about 8 months, two
months of which I was totally on my own with no transportation other
than my feet and the few friends who had a little time to spare.

I moved there because it was a nice neighborhood that my (now ex)
husband liked, and I wanted to get the apartment ready for his return
from Iraq in a quiet area where he could relax when he was at home and
recoop from deployment. At the time, I had been blind only 3 months. I
guess ignorance truly is bliss...

Where I lived, the apartments were on a little side street off the
highway. In order to get anywhere beyond the trash dumpster and
mailbox, you had to walk on the side of the highway. I made so many
trips on the side of that highway, walking in the grass where I could,
walking the line between the grass and road where the grass was not
wide enough. If I had to, I walked on the side of the ditch (which led
to me falling flat on my back once). This was the only way for me to
get down to the neighbourhood store for groceries. It was not a long
walk (it took only 5 minutes by car), but it seemed like forever to me
as I couldn't see the store, couldn't tell how far I had gone, and no
formal O&M training (and I mean -none-...I had read the Care and
Feeding of the Long White Cane, and that was all the training I had).
I got lost at least once a week going to the trash dumpster that was
at the corner of my street and the other neighborhood street, once
ending up behind the apartment buildings, where I turned round and
round in circles, sobbing with frustration...luckily, this was after
my ex got back, and when I didn't return after 10 minutes, he started
calling out for me, and I found him by his voice).

I never really thought about the dangers of walking on the side of the
highway. Lots of people in the area did it; at one point, ther was a
worn path in the dirt through the grass about three feet from the
highway. I even crossed the highway, after reading the part in Care
and Feeding that talks about how to listen for cars...it would take me
about 10 to 15 minutes before I decided it was safe to cross, as the
highway was quite busy, but once I determined it was safe, I booked it
across. I stuck out my cane in front of me and ran across. As soon as
my cane touched grass, I would stop dead in my tracks, because right
past that was a ditch.

There was one day after I had started venturing out that a car was
following me. I knew it was following me, and I kept stopping and
listening, concerned. Finally, I heard a police radio and walked over
to the car. "Can I help you, Officer?" I asked. He told me "Someone
called me because they were worried about you walking on the side of
the highway, but I followed you all the way from the store-" I
interjected, "I knew someone was following me..." and he continued,
"And I saw you walking, you do just fine on your own. If anyone else
calls in about a pretty blind girl, I'll let them know she's doing
just fine and not to worry. You call me if you need help, though, all
right?" And I nodded, smiled, and walked over to my door and waved and
went in.  I wasn't sure how much of a compliment "pretty blind girl"
was, but ah well, he saw I was competent, and that's all I needed.

Anyway, that was my experience in Spring Lake. There was no bus, and I
had no money for taxis even if I knew how to look up who to call. A
few friends came and checked on me once a week, but that was all. I
walked down to the leasing office once a month to pay the bill and at
Thanksgiving, one of the workers at the office brought me a nice
Thanksgiving plate.

Here in Raleigh, there are sidewalks everywhere. However, there is a
small stretch down Marcom Street that has no sidewalks, and down
Octavia to go to  a friend, as well as small patches here and there.
But I stay to the side and go against the curb when I hear a car
coming, with my cane visible. It is not that hard after walking down
the side of the highway!

~Jewel