[nagdu] Walking beside Highways WAS RE: Amount of walking

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 18:15:04 UTC 2010

Reading this thread reminds me of my drop off route toward the end of
my time at the Colorado Center. I was literally dropped off at the
side of a highway. To this day I don't know exactly where I was, but I
have an idea. Anyway, I do know that it was out in the middle of
nowhere. You don't truly know where the middle of nowhere is until
you've been there, and I was there at the time. Anyway, after the car
drove off I started getting all worried about which way to go and
started getting stressed, until I grinned and chuckled, and thought,
"Well, I can either go that way or that way." And I started walking. I
won't bore you with the details of my return trip, but suffice it to
say that I walked for a long, long time before I came upon a bus stop.
During that long walk, I was walking in a strip of path about the
width of your two feet put together, with the highway on one side and
a ditch on the other, tapping my cane and striding along, trying to
look where I knew where I was going, even though I had no clue. After
walking far enough in one direction, have no idea how far that was, it
occurred to me thaat I should have come across some change. And I did
what Tami and Jewel described, waited for a break in the semingly
endless trafic and when one came, hoofed it across at a near run,
tapping my cane out in front, hoping I wouldn't become a pancake. I
made the crossing okay and then started walking back in the other
direction. That proved to be a good choice since after awhile I came
to that bus stop.

The time I was on the highway, people kept driving past and yelling at
me, "You're on 77th," to which I thought, Great. I even had one woman
continuously come up to me expressing concern of where I was. At the
third time she came up to me, I dispensed with the easy going
explanations and told her more or less, "Look, I really appreciate you
trying to help me here, I really do. But, I'm on an assignment where I
have to get back to the training center I attend all by myself and
without help, and you're not helping me wiht that." She never came up
again, grin.

When in training at the Colorado Center and other similar places, on
these drops, you're told that you can't ask but 1 question. First,
before anyone freaks, remember that the drop doesn't happen till the
end of your training. Also, that the point is to build your self
confidence and self reliance when traveling. Technically will they
know if they drop you off and you ask questions the whole way? Of
course not. You're not wired and there's not a spy car, at least not
for those that are totally blind. The partials do have a spy car to
some extent since they want to see if you'll take the blindfold off,
but that's it. I stuck to the 1 question plan because I wouldn't feel
right about breaking it. And besides, at the end of your training,
you've traveled in all sorts of conditions and situations. I learned
later that they're not going to drop you off anywhere that you can't
handle; in other words, they'll match the drop with your expected
experience level. Guess that says a lot for what I thought I could
handle being dropped off on a highway. I heard of one person who was
dropped in the parking lot for the football stadium. that would be
frustrating, rows and rows of cars with no end in sight, but they made
it back, eventually. It took me 3 hours to get back. I would have made
it sooner, but I spent at least an hour of that time waiting for
busses. So when the first bus came, I got on and said, "I want to go
to Broadway." To which the driver said that he was going that
direction and have a seat. Broadway is one of the center streets in
Denver. I knew once I got to Broadway, it was going to be a snap from
there, and it was. No greater feeling exists than the feeling I had
when I walked back into the Centter when I got back. I'm sure I was
smiling from ear to ear with the knowledge of what I had done.

I learned 2 things from that experience: in order to safely get back
to the starting point, you not only have to know where you are, but
how to get back in the first place. And in answer to the unspoken
question that you may have, I burned my only question early on. It was
one of the times that people called out to me when driving past, and I
said something like, "Which way?" Then realized what I had said, and
cursed to myself. But I made it back without asking anything else. It
was a great experience and one I'd recommend to anyone that has the
chance to go through it as well. From what I understand, some guide
dog schools do this, upon request by the user, with people in
training, though as more of a test if you and the dog can get back
safely together. That would be a good test as well, but after only a
few weeks rather than 6-9 months of training, which might make a
difference, and then again, it might not. Still, that would probably
be a good experience too.

Sorry for not going into too much detail, :)
Wayne