[nagdu] Driver awareness

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 20 18:37:08 UTC 2010

Jewel,

Sometimes I think that having been a driver until I became legally blind,
gives me way too much appreciation for what all the drivers out there I
can't see are likely to get up to! /lol/  I was a conscientious driver,
don't get me wrong, and took some special efforts to be safety conscious
since I did have a certain loss of peripheral vision and accompanying "night
blindness."  So I paid a lot of attention to what all the other drivers were
doing...  And when I was a passenger and my friends were driving, I could
actually see what was going on around us and what they were doing....

It took me a long time to not completely freak out by not being able to see
what was going on when I driving with someone I knew to be a perfectly safe
driver.  /lol/  And crossing the street in La Grande, or even Bend, was an
exercise in overcoming dramatic terror, especially if a random breeze passed
by while I was crossing...  /lol/  I could scare myself witless on a
deserted street by listening too hard for cars that weren't there!

With experience and adaptation and lots and lots of practice, I'm much
better at interpreting sounds, of course, and I hardly think about it except
for the road I have to cross or walk beside, which I *know* to be truly
dangerous and where the sounds are inherently confusing because of the
layout there.  There, I will stay wait as long as I have to until I'm *sure*
it's safe.  But I almost never give myself a nervous breakdown in the middle
of the road because the wind changed direction.  /grin/

I like your attitude of learning by doing because you're just living your
life and too bad you suddenly can't see.  It's an interesting adventure,
isn't it?  My situation was somewhat similar for the first few years,
including the lack of available training.  But my options were to deal and
learn or stay home....  Ha!  Like that's going to happen!  So I learned to
deal and would go out and get myself lost and end up in tears because I was
so frustrated and just wanted to my front door so I could sit down and not
have to figure out where I was in the yard...  /smile/  Ah, the memories!

When I started learning to travel with my guide dog -- as handler, not
trainer -- I learned all sorts of new ways to get myself into trouble.
/lol/  And get lost, because I would forget to count blocks.  I've ended up
discovering some interesting places -- and a couple I intend to avoid
forevermore! -- by forgetting to notice how far we had gone at a much
greater speed than I did with my cane.  /lol/  I've learned to "know" where
I am on familiar routes by sound and other context, but I *still* forget to
count blocks when I'm on a new route in a new area because I get so caught
up in walking along with my dog and enjoying the adventure of it all.

This used to bother me terribly, because I thought I should be *better* at
keeping track than that.  I finally got bored with worrying about it,
though, so unless I'm on a really tight schedule and need to not take the
scenic route, I just enjoy the walk and figure I find my way to wherever I
want to be sooner or later.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney