[nagdu] HELP!!! LIVID DOG HANDLER!!

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 03:19:54 UTC 2010

IMO, the best action would be to scold her at the time you discovered
the incident, and make her realize that this is not a good thing. One
way might be by pick ing up one or more of the pieces, making sure she
sees them, and saying no in a firm voice. Then, take her to another
part of your home and tell her to sit so you can praise her. this way,
she will hopefully understand that she did do a bad thing by
destroying your bag and eating people food, but that you still love
her. It's important to set her straight as soon as you find the mess.
Since dogs are "in the moment," if you wait several hours and then try
to make the connection by scolding her, she will likely not know
exactly what you're talking about. She may see the mess and remember
what she did, but it will already be in the past for her. After you've
set her straight about the mess and followed it up with praise to
raise her spirits, take some time by yourself to get over her actions.
If you're upset, she will definitely sense that and might make the
connection that her actions caused you to be upset, if the discipline
by you happened when you discovered her activity that is. If you wait
several hours and then disciplined her, then she may not make the
connection between you being upset and her actions.

Good luck, and good to see you on this list,
Wayne merritt