[nagdu] Audible Traffic Signals

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Thu Mar 25 12:48:42 UTC 2010

I was asked questions last night about audible pedestrian signals during my
presentation.  I of course know what they are and generally how they work.
However I have never actually had the experience of crossing a street that
has them.  I'm not convinced that we really need them here where I live, but
I'd like to have some facts about APS.  Is there some authoritative source
that outlines when they are necessary?

The particular intersection that everyone but me is concerned about is a not
extremely busy two way street  that intersects a moderately busy one way.
I cross it twice a day, to work and back.  Sometimes I wait a couple of
cycles to get it figured out, but generally I cross at my first opportunity.
It's not a particularly easy intersection, but I don't feel unsafe either.

Thoughts?
Julie