[nagdu] New information about more and more people becoming blind

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 25 18:20:01 UTC 2010

Now it is interesting because this was on ABC New Last night.  The a new study of people with Diabetes whether type 1 or type 2.  The story emphasizes on diabetics but it should also go for people to get there eyesight check once a year.

Because more and more people aren't properly getting check for diabetes when they go to the doctor, or if they have diabetes that they won't go blind as long as there sugars are controlled are absolutely wrong.

I know because I lost my vision to diabetes.  It showed that the blood vessel around the retina get blocked and will get to the point where the is no blood flow and your vision will get worse and worse and there is no way of stopping the damage was it starts it may slow down for awhile.  But Diabetes is the no 1 cause of blindness in this country.

I say this on this list because a it seems to me that people who have had vision and now don't seem to be treated differently.  I find this true and in fact a friend of mine out here who is blind and not from the NFB and is a guide dog user, its true she told me she said that she was jealous of me that I was able to see and describe to her things she couldn't see. I still see things, but more black and white and blurred but still shapes and objects.  But at the same time I told her that I was jealous of her because she learned from day one from parents that made sure she had all the right tools and no how so she could be independent and I am still learning my ABCs so to say.

There will be more and more newly blind people, especially those return home from fighting wars for our country, and I think we need for them to know the laws and the mobility that is out there and work on those issues instead of trying to see who knows the laws better then the other when everyone interprets it in the own way.

This statement might be all over the place but you get my drift.

Cheryl Echevarria
Independent Travel Consultant
http://Echevarriatravel.com<http://echevarriatravel.com/>
1-866-580-5574