[nagdu] Story about NFB member here is NY crossing in Albany

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 18:42:07 UTC 2010

Cheryl,

That sort of cuts the story down to the basic facts and well demonstrates
what we've all been discussing.  This one of us has been reviewing every
message in detail before deciding to cross the street.  /smile/

Every incident and case is different, of course, but that terse telling of
the story does illustrate one thing.  It can happen to any or us, and it
will happen too fast to do anything about it -- or we would.  It can also
happen to any driver, that they will let their attention stray at just the
wrong time, which happens to be while one of us is crossing the road
thinking it's safe.

So I'm glad he's alive and relatively whole.  Even so, that's a good
rationale for no-fault insurance.  There are times when it's more important
that the bills of the injured party get paid by the injuring party without
all the legal fees and long court battles to muddy up the issue of who's
fault it *really* was and whether any laws were broken and how that effects
the determination of fault...  At least for cases where it's not readily
obvious because everyone was technically doing what they should or is able
to claim that they were without having to explain away direct contradictory
evidence.  I dunno.  Maybe I'm being too simplistic.

Or maybe it's just because I have such strong feelings about what should
happen to the genuine, er, um...  that subject leads to cussing and grisly
threats, so I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Tami Smith-Kinney