[nagdu] What do you do when you're angry with your dog?

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Fri Mar 26 19:06:56 UTC 2010

I think the difference between dog v. toddler is that with atoddler, you
just don't have one. You can your baby changing and it changes in
increments. This may not apply to people who adopt/aquire older
children.
Also, people expect toddlers to be learning and have bad days. We may
disagree all day about what is expected/appropriate, but people do allow
for some bad behavior.
With guide dogs, one day we don't have one, the next day we do. Also,
John Q public as well as us get these dogs to help us. We know they
aren't perfect but there is knowing and then thre is knowing.
Also, it can be hard knowing when to retire a dog and when not to. When
I was thinking of retiring my second dog after the birth of my daughter,
I had people say "But she's such a good dog" and "You have such good
memories and so much fun together" and "What if you retire her and then
decide you want her back" all of which were fair questions but were not
the problem I was trying to solve
With kids, you don't get to give them back/away except in extremely rare
circumstances