[nagdu] What do you do when you're angry with your dog?

Michelle m-johnson at bigpond.com
Sat Mar 27 21:33:10 UTC 2010

Gosh, this is a really good issue here. When I'm angry with my dog, I do
tend to overcorrect from time to time, but there are times which all of us
have encountered, when we know we're not overcorrecting, but others need to
butt out of our business and get their facts straight before making
accusations. I use a gentle leader all the time now with my dog, so when I
get angry with him, I use a stern voice and gently but kind of firmly tug
the leash, but of course not very hard at all. Troy is much more sensitive
to it, so he takes my hint very quickly. I've also found that when giving a
harness check, sometimes pulling up on the harness puts pressure on Troy's
chest, without having to yank it for the desired affect, and he takes the
hint that I'm not happy with him too. It's all the subtle things I'm trying
to think of which gives clear signals to my dog that I'm p'd off with him at
that time for acting up, but without the public noticing it in case they
think I'm being cruel, because of course most people shoot first and ask
questions later. If I do hear someone nearby, I make sure that my clear
signals towards Troy are seen as gentle enough for the onlooker, but very
understandable for Troy so he doesn't act up because of others standing
nearby if you know what I mean. I don't want the dog to think it's ok to
misbehave just because the person who's watching might think it ok for a dog
to misbehave in harness any time he/she wants. Troy is a good boy though, he
learns very fast, and my instructors are very happy with how I handle him
now, and they're also very happy with his work performance and general
behaviour.

Michelle