[nagdu] Accommodations specific to guide dog teams

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 27 12:01:20 UTC 2010

Hi Jewel:

On the public transportation, the drivers in my area who know me ask the person who is sitting behind the driver to move unless they are elderly then I sit on the opposite side, I refuse to take a seat from an elderly person, but that is once in a great while that happens.  My drivers out here in suffolk on the main bus, not the para-transit bus have known me for years, in fact I was recently asked by the Suffolk County Bus to offer assistance with there sensitivity training for new drivers and for drivers that must retake this course, if you contact your local county that offers bus service they should offer this, and maybe this could be something as a division work on.  Having talks with the transportation companies themselves.

Anyway, these seats are for the disabled and elderly, if someone has an issue with me the driver points to the sign on the windows that are in spanish and english, and then proceeds to explain that if the person does not move that he the driver has the right to ask that person to leave the bus, not me.

So to answer the question about accommodations about people not liking dogs or being asked to leave not since I got my dog has any driver ever denied me on the bus because of the dog.

Cheryl Echevarria
Independent Travel Consultant
http://Echevarriatravel.com<http://echevarriatravel.com/>
1-866-580-5574