[nagdu] Accommodations specific to guide dog teams

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sat Mar 27 12:22:19 UTC 2010

Jewel,

Great questions!

There are no busses where I live.  However, my general rule of thumb is that
in a public place where I have every right to be there, I will stay and the
person with the issues can figure out their own problems. I'm not sure if
it's where I live or just dumb luck, but I have never encountered an
incident like this.  I have never been asked to leave either.

In a restroom I will use the large stall if that's appropriate.  Meaning if
there are others who need it and don't have a choice of a different stall
then I'll use a smaller one.  Again in my tiny town there are only a handful
of people in wheelchairs and most are men.

I have a rug under my desk at work for Monty.  I don't think that really
counts as an accommodation, but thought I'd toss it out anyway.  I like that
I can take it home every now and then and wash it.  It keeps hair and excess
dirt from his feet from getting all over the carpet.   I have to request my
office to be vacuumed and the cleaning lady is not the most pleasant or
cooperative person on the planet, so I opt for the rug. *smile*

Oh, at a restaurant I ask for a table next to a corner or wall  if it's
possible.  It's easier to keep the dog out of the way if there's at least
one side that has no traffic.

Some guide dog handlers choose not to use escalators.  I, personally, have
in the past and don't have a problem with them.  Again escalators are not
something I have in my home town, so I only teach that to my dog if I think
we will need it.  Belle could do them with no problem.  I haven't taught
Monty at this point.

In my experience  the presence of the dog is the main thing.  If people
accept him into the building or wherever I can manage the rest of what he
and I need.

Julie