[nagdu] walking with a cane

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Sat Mar 27 17:59:22 UTC 2010

Hi Dar,

Definitely. When I retired Chet, it took me several days, if not a couple weeks, to quit feeling off balance. And that really is what it feels like transitioning from long-time guide dog use to suddenly using a cane daily: it feels like I have to work harder to stay upright, and of course, I found myself veering all over the sidewalk besides. I can't describe the feeling any better than being off balance, sorry. It's completely psychological, as my balance and equilibrium is quite good, but there it is. On the flip side, the first few times with the guide dog in harness after long-time cane use is also odd: it feels like you have to run just to keep up, and you wonder if you're going to smack into a tree or something, even though you know better. This doesn't last so long, but I wonder if it has to do with the relative time in between?
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY