[nagdu] New information about more and more people becoming blind

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 03:02:07 UTC 2010

Cheryl,

Yeah, with diabetes on the rise, blindness will be on the rise.  Same with
vets.  You hit the nail on the head!

Being still a fairly newbie blind, getting further and further along with
getting it figured out while my vision gets on with packing up and leaving,
I find I get quite a bit of brain spasm when I listen to news reports about
diabetes being on the rise, in younger and younger people,; along with the
debate over healthcare and whether to tax high-sugar drinks and the like
which are such contributing factors to that rise, along with the
much-publicized national debate over healthcare how it should work and...
etc.  All while observing what I can of social attitudes towards blindness
or disability in general and the interplay between our larger social and
cultural assumptions and how they effect public policty and law...

Then I have no brain left to spasm and am a much happier person for it.
/grin/

Well, if I start going on, it will be pretty hard to bring guide dogs into
it.  /grin/  I haven't really reached any conclusions that I can use to do
anything about or that I can even pass on to those who could.  Escept to
aggre with you in saying people need to sit up and take note and start
thinking collectively...  Or we could have a societal crisis!

As a diabetic, I am sure you know far better than I that the other 2 of the
"Big Three" (neuropathy and nephropathy) are huge, too, and can be a higher
impact on the person with them than blindness, which can at least be adapted
to so that one may live a normal life.  But that's another discussion.
/smile/

As guide dog users, what we can do collectively is to continue to do what
we're doing to raise awareness and to help to define the issues and to guide
legislative efforts and court cases.  Individually, we can also bring
awareness simply by living our lives as we do, with our dogs as mobility
aids to supplement our white canes (or however you want to view that
contrast).  The thing I have found about using a guide dog over a cane is
that she is, in fact, a great conversation piece.  /grin/  People notice me
when I'm out with my cane.  Well, they notice the cane.  /grin/  But I do
find they are more likely to approach me in a way that will enable me to
subtly inform and education when Mitzi is the apparent focus of the
conversation.  She does not mind the arrangment, so long as everyone
remembers that she is, in fact, the bright center of everything.  /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney