[nagdu] Audible Traffic Signals

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Mar 29 11:13:11 UTC 2010

The audible signal near me is not a chirp, thank Goodness.  My light is
one where the pedestrian has to push a button to activate the walk sign.
When the walk signal starts, a voice says "walk sign is on for all
crossings".  The voice repeats as long as the walk sign is on, about 2 and
a half times.  I think when the voice stops, the walk sign is flashing to
show you don't have a lot of time left to cross.
I think, if it were a 4-way stop, the voice would indicate which street
had the walk sign.
To me, it's much clearer than the chirp, and less piercing.  We had to get
the traffic engineers back to tone it down a bit, since they'd put it in
at full blast and it was too loud.  Now they turned it down a lot, and
it's good.
Tracy