[nagdu] Dogs and Islam: The Devil and the Seeing-Eye Dog

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 17:43:29 UTC 2010

Wonderful article and story.  Sounds like there are some must-adss to my
reading list from the author, too.  /smile/

So I suddenly wondered:  Would the religious/cultural fear of dogs in some
Muslims that results in hysteria be akin to the western cultural reaction to
mice?  I've never been a mouse-screamer myself, and find them rather
charming creatures so long as they're not nesting in my kitchen. /smile/  So
I've never really gotten why a mouse can poke it's nose out oa hole in the
wall and send an entire room full of otherwise sensible women leaping onto
their chairs and shreaking and trying to leap onto the chandeliers, which
there arean't any...  No, really, that happened during a typing test a long,
long time ago when I was in business school.  I and one other woman kept
typing during the chaos until the test was over on the theory that the mouse
was not worth any particular distraction from the task at hand.  /lol/  The
poor, startled creature, which some brave souls had begun chasing with a
broom (I'm not sure where it came from, but there was definitely a broom
involved), ran under my friend's foot, and she calmly put her foot down on
it to contain it while she finished the typing test.  She became famous for
the feat ever afterwards.  The chaos took several hours to die down.  Which
I began to find annoying because, except for the retellings of my friend's
act of valor in the face of danger, because I just did not get it, I was
miffed that the mouse ended up being done in instead of taken outside to go
on with its life in elsewhere, and everybody kept agitating at me for not
being agitated.  I began to wish there had been another mouse for me to have
stepped on, just so there would be less bother about my not having joined in
the leaping and screaming.  /lol/

Naturally, every time I see a mouse in any context, I laugh hysterically
remember the whole scene.

Anyway, none of that is useful information, although I do believe that
understanding of others in our varied culture is the best to way to have
good relations and to learn more about life and the world.  I still have not
a clue how I would or will respond when I hear an adult woman -- or a group
of adult women -- shrieking hysterically like they just saw a mouse.
/smile/  I suppose that if it's in a setting where they can remove
themselves from where I need to be, and I can chose to keep my distance from
them, there's no real need to respond at all.  I can't imagine having an
opportunity for chat with people who are scurrying away from my means of
getting close enough to do so.  /smile/

I don't know what I would do if I were in the elderly British man's shoes,
either, but of course that makes the conflict a real problem.  I'm not even
sure I can come up with a "correct" way to handle the matter for the bus
driver, either.  Both philosophically and practically, I don't think it's
right for the irrational fears of others -- whatever the basis -- to be
allowed to trap anyone on a bus.  Most especially an ailing elderly man!

Having once tried the "It's only a mouse" approach on a large number of
subjects as a way to explain my utter lack of concern over such a dangerous
beast, I can't imagine containing the situation would be solved by any such
thing as practical rules and procedures applied by the most cool and
level-headed bus driver ever to live.  People in that level of panic over a
perceived danger, whether the danger is real or not, aren't in a position to
use their higher brain function because it's now all about fight or flight
for them.  Good survival instinct when it's needed, but it can still get us
when it's not needed, whether we like to admit it or not.  By we, I mean me,
of course. /smile/

I'm interested to know what others think and if anyone has anything in the
way of useful information that could lead to solving a conflict like that.
It might be nice to have some clue ahead of time, and to have advice to give
others or even to teach in guide dog classes, about how to approach that or
any similar situation for if you do happen to find yourself in the middle of
it.

Tami Smith-Kinney