[nagdu] walking with a cane

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 30 05:01:52 UTC 2010

Dar,

Nope!  I walk totally differently with the cane than with my dog.  I can get
out and hustle with the cane, but it's really tough now that I don't use it
regularly.  But even my fastest walk with the cane does not feel anything
like walking freely the way I do with my dog.

It can make fairly simple navigation really confusing because it throws off
all my time/distance/orientation assumptions.  So when Mitzi's at the
groomer and I take time to specifically practice cane use in the mall -- or
even if I just do it while DD and I run errands or do something to while
away our poodle-free time.  I *do* cane use competently enough, but it gets
to be ridiculously exhausting very quickly.  /smile/  If I push myself a bit
too much with challenges, I start getting kinda, er, stupid about keeping
track of my orientation and environment if it's even a tiny bit complicated
by obstacles or corners.

On those times, when I pick up the poodle and lead her out to the car to go
home, I feel almost dazed because I guess my brain can't figure out what
information I want it to use to find the door...  /lol/  I don't go reeling
about or bumping into anything, but I do not *feel* like a competent,
confident traveler in the least.  /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney