[nagdu] walking with a cane

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 30 16:17:13 UTC 2010

Jonathan,

I'm so sorry about your dog's illness and glad you are able to get him
treatment and keep him with you.  Thank you for sharing and pointing out how
you need to grab your cane and go to work and can't just stop your life
because your dog is sick.

I really believe that finding the right cane for you is key.  And actually
getting information about how to select a cane was weirdly difficullt when I
first needed one, especially since I was still learning how to find
resources and information.  I look back and can't imagine if I had gone from
sighted to too blind to read with my eyes all in one go...  The internet
resources for blindness information weren't what they are now, but they were
starting to grow.  Whew.  But, of course, I had to read them with my eyes
because getting information about adaptive options was just as difficult,
and they're too expensive to just start buy to see what works.  Really
maddening, since I know others are in the same boat...  But I digress.

Only whenever I tried to ask questions of the state O&M instructors, or
anybody official who was supposed to know something and provide information,
it was like asking about magic wands or something.  Arcane information, only
the enlightened may know... /smile/  Also, being partal, and still fairly
high partial back then, I got the feeling I didn't have enough blindness
points to approach the inner sanctum of knowledge.  Aggravating!

Anyway, well-told story and example about cane use and finding the right
one.  I joke a lot about how many canes I have around, but only with people
who will get the joke and laugh.  /smile/  I've noticed that the wrong crowd
for that one can be quite harsh, even aggressive.  "What do you need a cane
for?  You've got a guide dog!"  Kind of like they're offended by the very
idea of having a guide dog and a cane in the same house, used by the same
person.  So I guess now my magic wands have turned into -- what? Porn?

The great thing about convention, I have to say, is having the opportunity
to explore the mysterious world of white canes and even test a few while
talking technique with the person who actually uses the one you're
testing...  Suddenly, it becomes easy.  You get the one like yours, that
frees you to walk confidently and quickly with your head held high...

I'm not saying convention is the sole solution to cane queries, but those
gatherings and opportunities to network with other independent blind cusses
are just great.

Tami Smith-Kinney