[nagdu] walking with a cane

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 30 16:42:32 UTC 2010

Albert,

I suddenly realized the true benefit of learning to use the cane out in the
boonies.  Not so many people challenges while you're learning the basics and
how to know where things are when they're moving around, and you won't find
them with your cane until they find it to step on.  So early on like that,
that would be terrifying, I can only imagine.  I was lucky.  Before I moved
back to the big civilized world with crowds and stuff, I happened to be
talking to a blind friend from Boston who told me how many times his cane
has been stepped on and broken...

UPS delivered my new backup folding cane the very next day!  Thank goodness
for overnight express.  /grin/

Then I think my cane almost got tripped over or got bumped and I realized
that I was not prepared!  Better get a backup for my backup, just in case!
/lol/

Well, it also gave me a chance to try out various lengths and types and...
But there were times not so very long ago when I would go looking for a
"purse" cane all over the house, with Mitzi all harnessed up and walking
perfectly beside my leg while I dodged around in a dither...  Then I would
realize what I was doing and decide I would just have to live dangerously.
Good heavens!

So when I got home and was sort of absently looking through my purse for
something else, gues what I would lay hands on?  /lol/  I think I once had
four in there, for just in case.

Every spring in Portland, I have to go out and practice "people detection"
with cane and dog both.  Mitzi makes it easier, of course, but in stores and
stuff I get sloppy over winter about staying in position with her.  Because
in our rainy gray winters, Portlanders seem to go underground.  You can
wander around freely and it almost seems you have the place to yourself.
Especially in dog parks and on the trails and stuff.  Just me and my dog!
/grn/

Then the sun shines for five minutes, and it's a whole different city!
Really!  There are people everywhere!  It's wonderful, really, but...  I
have to straighten up and unlearn all my bad habits.  Good grief.  Also,
every spring the past few years, I have less vision, so I need to upgrade
the good habits and skills I developed last spring and summer.

So I pretty much do what you do and take myself back to school and
practicing the skills I keep thinking I should be able to use by now without
having to take time to practice....  Ah, well.

Tami Smith-Kinney