[nagdu] mobility-the deciding factor?

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 30 23:27:16 UTC 2010

Tracy,

I like using the dog because I can then walk along with her letting my eyes
roam around taking in the scenery -- however much I can see at the time.
For some reason, using a cane I can't do that.  First time I actually used
Mitzi to guide on a sunny day where I could see colors of houses and
buildings I hadn't even known before on that same route except as gray
blobs, I got totally lost and confused.  While knowing exactly where I wes,
since it was just a straight walk to my favorite store and back.  /lol/
Weirdest sensation I have ever had.  For some reason, though, I don't really
do the same when I'm traveling by cane because, well I don't even know the
because, except that it just doesn't work.  /smile/

The trick then, with using Mitzi while looking around, was to then not start
"using" my vision to watch where we were going and end up screwing with my
dog.  There was quite a period there where I was not convinced that now that
I had her all trained and stuff I was not going to ruin her.  We practiced
in various lighting conditions while I developed the mental self-discipline
to walk with her and not against her, no matter how much I could or could
not see, and now we just go about like we've been doing it all our lives and
know what we're doing.  /lol/

It was one of those periods where I really, really envied totals who could
just be in one state and learn to deal with it and get it over with.  I
don't think comparing whether one set of circumstances makes things easier
or harder is of any value whatsoever.  Just now and then I would like to be
able to spend some real time not screwing myself up.  I'm actually more
relieved and less stressed as my vision becomes less and less distinct over
time.  Then the sun comes out and I go to the park and lift my sunglasses to
see the puppies...

Then I have to spend a few days retraining myself to walk around the house
because I can't see.  At least I don't lose all ability to do anything
anymore.  I just get kinda, well, stupid.  Oh, goodie!  Progress. /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney