[nagdu] guide dogs and NFB Centers

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 31 17:22:01 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

    I know folks who have been through all three centers and who have
brought their dogs with them. All three centers and some non-NFB training
centers have the same policy. I'm in regular contact with folks at the CCB
two of which are Web clients of mine and connect with the other center staff
on occasion.

    The policy is the same at all three centers. Students can bring their
dogs with them but are required to use their canes during class hours and
during designated center activities. Students can work their dogs between
the center apartments and the training headquarters. Each center has a place
where the dogs can be kept while the student attends classes.
    Since cane travel is taught by these centers students are expected to
practice their cane skills in order to hone their traveling ability and to
gain new skills they may have not received when taught O&M in the past.
Students can work their dogs in their off hours.

    This is not unlike guide dog programs that expect their students to use
their dogs after they receive them. If someone is considering a dog and
wishes to attend one of our centers I urge them to get their training at the
center prior to getting the dog. The basic travel skills you learn as a cane
user will carry over in to your work with a guide dog. Hope this helps.

Peter Donahue