[nagdu] Got a question for the list

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat May 1 01:36:33 UTC 2010

Mark,

Hm....  Are random, nonaffiliated (officially, anyway) owner-trainers (so
not affiliated with a proram) qualified third parties in your parents'
opinion.  Don't need to mention that I'm only officially unaffiliated with
NAGD because I can't seem to scrape together that extra spare few dollars
from one month to the next.  /grin/

I like your attitude that it is important to convince them rather than go
around.  Despite coming from a family where, well....  Never mind!  Best
option there is to just get away and stay away, but that's not the best way
to go if you have a family you can stay part of without...  Well...  Sorry,
having a fight with laptop in which JAWS won't talk to me.  Baaaaaad mood
going on!

Anyway, As a guide dog user who took the trouble to train my own guide dog
for one reason and another because I thought it was worth it, I can say a
thing or two about whether the "work" is worth the payoff.  I'm starting to
write up that sort of thing for myself anyway off and on to formalize my
thoughts on that matter and others related to owner-training and my
experience as a guide dog user.  I will not mention in anything I might
communicate for your parents that, as an owner-trainer with a now nearly
4-year-old working guide, I need to do all that writing for myself because
I'm not always sure what the heck happened to cause all of that.  Kidding!
Sort of...  /grin/

BTW, may I compliment you on your spelling and grammar and general writing
ability.  Not because you're blind, but because you're young.  Sheesh!  I'm
currently in an entirely different bad mood from dealing with long-time
career adults being paid quite a bit of money with quite a few benefits that
in these days are out of sight -- who are simply not literate.  Weird, but
true.  I know a few youngsters about in your general age range who are not
without brains or ability to think, but their grammar and spelling is a bit
frightening.

Love it that it's the blind kid I know who is excellent with the language
skills!  Next best with the English language skill in kids still in high
school that I know?  The ASL family.  Huh.  Not making a point there, but I
wish people who grew up speaking English could use the language.  Most
people I know do, but I've been sort of communicating with an element I
normally don't and I now have an issue with the whole thing.

That being said, would be willing to contacting me off list on the topic of
Braille literacy?  Would love your input.  Tamara.8024 at comcast.net.

Now to go back to evaluating whether throwing the laptop violently out of
the window would be satisfying enough to justify the expense of replacing
the window.  Because of Window.  /lol/  I used the person people call for
that sort of problem.  But, no!  I'm going to have to go out and *hire*
somebody to do for me what I used to do for a living....  Sorry to digress.
Off to fume!

Tami Smith-Kinney