[nagdu] Hey Got a Question for the List

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun May 2 15:46:29 UTC 2010

Julie,

Good points and rephrasing from a different viewpoint. Also, thanks for the
additional info. /smile/  It's a subject I've been thinking about, and
having some off and on discussions with a really top notch student friend of
mine about how in the heck she stays at the top of the class given that she
is also hearing impaired and has to put in even more work to get the info
from the lectures into her brain...  She's got all the good tech to help
her, granted, but she does have to work a lot harder at being a whiz kid
than the other whiz kids in her class.  If that makes sense.  Her assessment
of how she does it:  No hobbies or parties during the school year!  And she
does have to take a lighter class load than she might otherwise.  So I've
sort of become intrigued by the workflow aspects of it all.  /smile/

Now that I reread the section you quoted, I see where I did make a blanket
statement I wasn't intending to, so I apologize to all for that!

I got a little carried away with the subject and started projecting my
estimates of what I can expect now that I'm getting back on track myself as
opposed to what I could do in terms of reading ten years ago. Back then, I
could still see most of page of print, and I wasn't so much an avid reader
or even compulsive reader as a psycho reader!  I had withdrawals from
reading for months and months, where I would pick up random pieces of paper
I ran across and read them...  Then realize what I was doing -- with a sheet
of clean toilet paper.  I still catch myself picking up things to see/read
them, even after they've been described and read to me.  I did that just
Saturday and discovered that what I got out it was approximately the same
effect as if I had picked up a sharp stick and stuck it in my eye. /smile/

Now that I'm back to regular pleasure reading with braille, I feel much,
much better, and I'm re-evaluating everything in terms of my own potential
gains in returning to literacy.  I have kind of a thing about it.  /grin/

Right now, I can still claim the prize for slowest braille reader, though!
I am up to about 10 braille pages per 2 hour (ish) daily reading and it
feels like I'm really zooming along now.  /lol/  Actually, given the doggy
interference and the fact that I do my reading on the couch in front of the
TV with the book lying on a pillow on my lap, I'm not doing that badly at
picking speed and accuracy, but still have a long way to go to catch up.  I
also keep nudging my JAWS speed up to learn to listen faster, since I have
never been as quick to take in and retain auditory information as I was
visual information....  Although I transitioned overall much more easily
than I thought I would.  I still have to be careful to remember not to space
things JAWS tells me that I would automatically have remember if my eyes had
said the same thing.  If that makes sense.  I know a couple of people who
have JAWS set at something in the 90 percent range or above who can listen
at that speed while carrying on a conversation and track exactly what's
going on with JAWS and recall everything it said to them...  I would like to
work towards that, just for efficiency's sake, but I have a feeling I won't
achieve the recall even if I achieve the comprehensioin.

As you reminded me, it's a very individual thing as to which tools you use
and how well and how you use them in conjunction.  As is the motivation to
work for speed instead of just using what one needs.  I'm still mucking with
the system more out of stubbornness than any expectation it will actually
work as it's supposed to on paper, gathering documentation in the hopes I
can take my case out of the disability system into the civil arena.
However, the chances of getting what I need to get back to my regular career
path are slim, and I'm phasing in Plan B.  Where I don't need to push the
reading speed in order to keep up with the competition and handle the loads
and loads of information I used to.  So I'm more mentally prepared to just
live with reading as fast as I read in my comfort zone at the time unless I
feel like I want to torture myself by pushing for more.

Some of the people I follow on Twitter regularly talk about the books they
read that day between work and life and hobbies and volunteer activities...
So I am chomping at the bit to catch up!  Some year...  /grin/  They
certainly demonstrate that reading in volume is possible.  I've known very
few sighted readers who read that much, in fact, and they're just super avid
readers who can't help themselves who have been doing it for years.

Anyway, thanks again for pointing out my over generalization and for
providing new information!  I'm trying to figure out how to work the concept
into a piece of writing I'm doing about braille literacy, as well, and will
be looking up research eventually and probably grilling everyone I know for
a compare/contrast of audio vs. braille...

Tami Smith-Kinney