[nagdu] rejected by teh lions club?

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sun May 2 20:42:35 UTC 2010

Jessica,

Unfortunately you have just experienced lesson 1 in owner training.  It's
not called owner training for nothing.

This list and a few others that I have found are pretty welcoming and
inclusive of owner trainers.  this is not the societal norm though. It's why
I stick around here and then people even thought enough of me to invite me
to be moderator! *smile*

It is very hard to develop a support system to be able to owner train
successfully.  I rely a lot on other owner trainers for help with working
through specific training issues.  If I do get help from a pet dog trainer,
friend or family I have to be very, very specific with what I need.    If I
ask my son and friends to ride their bikes  around the block in a specific
direction and to not move out of the way for me, but to please say hello
when they get 20 feet away, I will get cooperation.  If I ask a friend to
help me train my guide dog, they will be overwhelmed, stressed and anxious.
Ask very specifically for what you exactly need at that moment.

As for the legal issue...there are, at my last knowledge still a few states
that only recognize guide dogs from specific programs.  Tennessee comes to
mind.  However since the Federal ADA supercedes the state laws you are still
entirely legal to work your owner trained guide there.  the laws regarding
dogs in training vary widely from state to state.  What state do you live
in, perhaps we can help you locate your particular laws.

All that said, part of that email is correct.  Training your own guide is a
lot of work and if done incorrectly can result in injury.  I don't want to
gloss that part over.  It's important to know.

I'm sorry you were subjected to the harsh reality of what a lot of people
think about blind people training their own guides.  It's very discouraging.
But I suppose it's just like anything else blind people were told we can't
do...teach O&M, be Governor, climb Mt. Everest, be a doctor,...it takes
blind people who are willing to deal with the lack of support and still
remain confident in their own abilities to change those societal beliefs.

You are always welcome to email me privately.  If there's anything I can do,
I'm happy to do so.

Julie