[nagdu] Puppyraising for owner training

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon May 3 17:30:01 UTC 2010

I was around when Paul Gabias was raising a puppy to train as his guide,
although I didn't know Paul at that time.  But I got the impression that
he socialized the puppy by, as much as possible, taking it into his normal
situations.  He worked in the City; he brought the puppy to the City.  He
worked in a classroom; when the puppy was well-enough trained to be calm,
he brought her into the classroom. That kind of thing.
It seems to me that kind of thing should work pretty well.  School
puppyraisers have to socialize their puppies to all kinds of situations,
because no one knows who the eventual partner will be, or what that
partner will do.
But, if I'm raising my own puppy to work for me, I know my situations
pretty well, and I can concentrate on them.  I can make a special effort
to touch on unusual situations, just so they're not totally foreign, but
I'd think mainly I could stick to my usual stuff, more or less.
Is that so, or am I all wet?
Tracy