[nagdu] Puppyraising for owner training

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Mon May 3 22:21:49 UTC 2010

All of my owner trained guides have been from rescue or high-kill
facilities.  Laveau-- my current Doberman mix guide is from the very
scary New Orleans inner-city high kill shelter and it was *not* my
intent to get a dog from there.  I really wanted to go through a
breeder, but Laveau has turned out to be one of the most unexpected
gifts I've ever received.
I did adopt her with the realization that she may not work out as a
guide because regardless of her flawless temperament tests, she had
been in a horrible inner city shelter for five weeks with minimal
outside contact.  Temperament tests done under these conditions are
hardly reliable and a dog that looks like a fantastic candidate in the
shelter can review a totally different side of itself once it lives in
the home and gets over shelter shock.  However I knew I could find her
a home if she didn't make it and she was such a wonderful dog that I
had to take the chance.  When I took her in for her physical, half the
staff at my vets office were praying for her to flunk the exam because
they wanted her.  Lucky for me, unfortunately for them, she is healthy
as a horse aside from a few small issues which are not a problem if
she gets her medication on a regular schedule.

She was around a year old when I got her.  My other dogs were between
10 months to a year when I got them as well.  I love this age to begin
training.
However I must confess that I do harbor a secret fantasy of raising my
own puppy.  Not now, not maybe even my next dog.  However if I can
plan Laveau's or next dog's retirement early enough, and if I'm lucky
enough to be working from home by that point, and if I can find the
right kind of golden retriever breeder, I'd love to raise my own
puppy.  I know it would be a great deal of work and my husband is
trying to talk me out of it-- he has been for several years now.
However one of these days I'd love to have that opportunity.  Until
the time is right however, I'd like to stick with dogs between the
ages of 10-18 months.  I'd like my next dog to be another Doberman
because Laveau has caused me to fall madly in love with the breed.
I'd also take a golden retriever because they are tied with Dobe for
my favorite breed or a Dalmatian because I really, really want one and
think they'd fit in great with my lifestyle.  I almost got a Dal bitch
from a breeder this time around but she flunked her temperament test
so here I am with the Doberdog.

Tami is right about how exhausting owner training is.  I kept a
journal even before I got laveau of things that I needed to work on,
and once I got her I was either writing in my journal, reading other's
journals, training the dog, reviewing training sessions with other
owner trainers, thinking about future training sessions, planning out
future training sessions with other owner trainers, and the list just
goes on from there.
You have to like dogs a lot! to be an owner trainer.  You have to be
interested in all of the tiniest minutiae of behavior and training to
be an owner trainer.  You need to have good orientation and mobility
skills.  You also need to know your rights and responsibilities under
the law/s and be a strong advocate for yourself because nobody else is
going to be advocating for you.  A thick skin is also helpful because
you are going to have to deal with ignorance from the sighted
community, the blind community, professionals who work in the
blindness field and other PWD.  All of these people probably mean well
but many of them don't think a blind person is capable of training an
assistance dog.  Your actions need to speak louder than your words.
People will watch you, they will watch your dog and they will make
judgements.

I was the first owner trainer to work where I do and there were
several program trained teams who entered our facilities every day and
I had to consistently prove, time and time again that my dog was just
as well trained as theirs.  That I was just as good a handler as they
were even if I do things differently because I use strictly clicker
training and most guide dog handlers don't.
People will ask you questions about yourself, your choice to owner
train, about your dog, how you trained it, where you got the harness
and the list goes on and on.  If you think people invaded your privacy
and asked you probing questions with a program trained dog, well it is
my personal experience that I get even more questions now.

Jessica, I'm not trying to discourage you from owner training.  It is
your right to have an individually trained assistance dog; however it
is important to know what path lies ahead of you.

I wish you the best, and I don't want to make it sound all gloom and
doom and tedious toil.  I love my dog, and I love owner training.  I
will probably owner train again in another million years when Laveau
gets old.

Rox and the Kitchen Bitches
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"It's wildly irritating to have invented something as revolutionary as
sarcasm, only to have it abused by amateurs." -- Christopher Moore
pawpower4me at gmail.com

Windows Live Only: Brisomania at hotmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl Yahoo: lillebriss