[nagdu] the Dalmatian guide

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Tue May 4 22:48:14 UTC 2010

The gentleman Ed spoke of is Clayton Hutchinson from here in Columbus. He
had Denys, yes, correct spelling, an unaltered male Dal, for a number of
years. I worked for his company, computer conversations,  in the late 1980's
and early '90's and knew him and Denys quite well.

Denys was an amazing dog. Prior to him, Clay had a female Dal as his first
guide. She lived to be around 15 if I recall correctly. He then got another
Dal, a female, but I never met that dog. He still has a Dal, not sure if
it's the same female, I'd suspect not. I haven't seen him in nearly 20 years
now, but for him, the Dal mindset, a strong willed dog, worked well.

Denys was quite a striking dog too with black hearts around his eyes and a
very attractive dot pattern over the rest of his coat. He was not so much
stubborn as strong, both physically and intellectually.

Dals were bred originally as coach horses to run with the carriages and
guard the stables so they aren't exactly Disney characters,
personality-wise. His original Dal female, Dottie, was quite the strong lady
who had no problem telling other dogs exactly what she thought of them. I
met her when she was a grand old lady in retirement and she looked at me as
pretty much one of the lesser creatures in the office. <grin>

Denys got on well though with my then dogs Sheba, the Pilot dogs lab/German
Short Haired pointer mix and Jerry Lee, the GDf Lab.

I'd say the Dal isn't the dog for everyone, in fact not many people could
probably handle them in their stronger moments, but they are bright to a
fault and once you've made it into their inner circle, you're there for
life.

I'm proud to have known Clay and his Dals and it's where I did meet at least
a few of you on this list many, many moons ago in one of those alternate
lives we all tend to have. <grin>

Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com