[nagdu] Dalmatians

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Tue May 4 23:22:36 UTC 2010

Sounds like Lavo's a great dog. Focus is a good characteristic in a
guide dog, though some people take that focus as being antisocial or
unfriendly...I think that's just silly. I would consider a dobbie as a
guide dog if s/he was offered to me as a match. I dont know if I would
match myself with a dobbie, though. I'm more of a lab type.

I think there are only a few breeds of medium-sized dogs that can't
work as service animals, or specifically as guide dogs. Specifically,
I would never want to see a geryhound in a harness. Nor would I like
to see a beagle in the harness (yes, some beagles can be large enough
to consider as medium...I had a 40-pound beagle, although she was a
little fat. She wasn't short, though I don't remember her exact
height. But a beagle is definitely not a guide dog breed. Beagles have
powerful noses, as do bloodhounds (not guide dog material either), and
I would imagine most beagles would be distracted too easily by smells
and sounds. I don't know if it was just Lucy, but she was always
wandering off the path to sniff at something, loved to howl at people
when she saw them, and was too lazy to fetch the frisbee, but would
meet our other dog halfway back to try to steal it away to make it
look like *she* got it. *shrug* Just let's not start talking about
chihuahuas or shih tzus as guide dogs, please! Pocket guide dogs are
funny, but definitely not practical.

~Jewel