[nagdu] Raw diet for guide dogs

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat May 8 15:55:24 UTC 2010

Tara,

Welcome!  I live in Oregon, and I have a nearly 4-year-old poodle guide
named Mitzi, whom I trained myself.

I looked into the raw food diet, and in my old neighborhood there was a
store where one could buy it prepackaged, run by an animal nutritionist, so
that was great.  Unfortunately, I couldn't begin to afford the ready-made
product and was having some arm and hand issues that made cutting stuff up
myself a nonstarter.  I know a lot of people who do feed the raw diet, and
their dogs certainly are in great health, with extra shiny coats.  If things
change for me, I plan to reconsider going to the raw diet.  We'll see.

I used to give Mitzi raw marrow bones for her teeth, but now with 2 people
and 2 dogs, the mess is prohibitive.  Also, having raw bones and whatever
was left on them migrating around the house as the dogs politic with them is
not a pleasant thought.  /smile/  We never get around to putting dog crates
in the house -- they don't go with the décor, you know.  /smile/

Again, welcome!

Tami Smith-Kinney