[nagdu] any suggestions?

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue May 11 14:14:16 UTC 2010

Jessica,

Well, Mitzi is a very delicate eater, and has been since she was a pup.  If
I'm in a hurry for her to eat, it will drive me mad listening to her.  She
picks up a kbble or two, very daintily, and chews five times... crunch
crunch crunch... crunch crunch.  Pause.  Sound of kibble in bowl, then the
crunch.  Good grief!  I don't know if that's a poodle thing or what.  When
we moved in with Daisy and her dad, I had a heck of a time managing feeding
times because Daisy eats like a real dog.  They finally got it sorted out
sometime after we moved into this house...  Although I confess, we kinda
free feed.  Both dogs stay slim and trim, so they're not overeating.

When I first got Mitzi, the pet store where I got most of our gear gave us a
bunch of sample packs of the foods I was considering, so I was able to
observe which ones she seemed to like best...  So I fed her the Wellness
Puppy whatever...  Lamb and Rice, I think, until she was ready to switch to
adult dog food.  Come to think of it, sometimes I would add a bit of cottage
cheese or yogurt to it to make sure she ate and to give her some extra
calcium and probiotics.  Now that I remember, this helped us with the food
part of our bonding, because she was blasé about the kibble, but got really
excited about the yogurt, so I could at least feel like I was being the
"giver of food" and therefore nominally in charge.  /grin/  Actually,
Mitzi's really good in her role as pack beta, but she definitely has a mind
of her own.

Anyway, don't know if any of that is helpful, but that's how we did it.  I
also know her appetite varied a lot while she was growing.  She would pig
out and get all pudgy, and about the time I started to wonder if I should
worry about her weight, she would wake up the next morning all tall and
skinny. /lol/

Tami Smith-Kinney