[nagdu] When Treating One Worker's Allergy Sets Off Another's

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Tue May 11 19:48:10 UTC 2010

Well, I really have to think about this before commenting except to say that
I've heard the allergy excuse fifty million times in regard to guide dogs.
Everyone and his brother has an allergy to dogs when confronted with us.

I was amazed that one time at work, when everyone was going out to lunch,
half the employees of my department claimed allergies as a reason not to
take me in their car.  I'd previously not heard hide nor hare, or maybe dog
hair--smile about their allergies.
This seems to be the latest thing, everyone and his brother is disabled,
meanwhile let them try to cross a street blind-folded without cane skills or
guide dog skills.
And, everyone and his brother has dog allergies all of the sudden.

Sorry, just my take on dog allergies as presented in the workplace. As I
said, I have to think before I can comment on an allergy alert dog--smile.

It would seem rather elementary that, assuming the paprika-detector pooch
falls under the jurisdiction of the ADA, that the employer should separate
the employees with the problem.

Dan W. and the Carter Nutt