[nagdu] Man's dogs will set blind kids free

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Fri May 14 14:56:31 UTC 2010

Hi,

I really can't speak to the ways that kids use other kinds of service dogs, but my limited experience with this sort of thing tells me that in a lot of cases, dogs that assist with other disabilities (autism, for instance, or dogs for kids in wheelchairs who open doors, fetch things, and the like) are not as much under the direct control of the child. Rather, the parent(s) will often go through the training as well, and the dog is often "handled" more by the parent rather than the child. This of course may well not be true in all cases, but that's my understanding of how it often works. It seems obvious to me that such an arrangement wouldn't work very well for a guide, thus I think the dynamic is likely a bit different.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY