[nagdu] Man's dogs will set blind kids free

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri May 14 15:09:01 UTC 2010

I think also that service dogs and guide dogs may be somewhat different in
temperament.  I think most service dogs don't have to have the initiative
a guide dog does.  Fetch means fetch.  Open the door means open the door.
But forward does not always mean forward--it means forward, if there's not
a good reason to do something else.

I got my first guide dog when I was 19.  I sometimes found it very
frustrating, dealing with the times the dog wouldn't make a turn I knew
was there, or wanted to sniff everything when I wanted to get to class, or
whatever.  And I was alledgedly fairly mature, or at least mature enough
to be out on my own.
Tracy