[nagdu] Missing Washington Co. Boy Found After 5-MileBarefootWalk

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Tue May 18 20:30:07 UTC 2010

The autistic kid can have a service dog at school IF IT IS TRAINED to help
his disability.

However, I think dogs in schools can be challenging because of the imaturity
of the other kids.  When kids are given service dogs, the parents go to the
classes to learn about the dog as the kid does. The parents are the ones
legally responsible for the dog's care and actions.  I guess this can work -
CCI issues dogs to kids all the time and for many years.

I think it is different for blind kids and guide dogs. It is much more
imperitive that a guide dog is not being destracted by everyone petting it
because it has to watch out for obstacles - unlike a service dog for a
sighted kid. Petting those won't always cause a dangerous situatin to arise.

Lyn and Landon