[nagdu] Missing Washington Co. Boy Found After5-MileBarefootWalk

Katrin Andberg katrin at maplewooddog.com
Wed May 19 17:39:37 UTC 2010

I contacted all programs in my region that I was interested in including
Guiding Eyes for the Blind and Freedom Guide dogs as well as The Seeing Eye
and Guide Dog Foundation.  I was not interested in Fidelco's program as I do
not want a shepherd so I did not contact them.  GEB told me they could not
help me as their program is only for autistic KIDS (as if autistic kids
don't grow up into autistic adults and need services!) and they would not
allow me to apply to their guide dog program and I have given up on getting
an answer from Freedom.  They came out, did an interview last summer and
told me they had to send it to their board of directors before they would
even allow me to apply.  There have been at least 2 board meetings since
then and they keep putting me off and not giving me an answer either way.
Each time I call for follow up after a meeting I am told it was not
discussed for one reason or another and to call back after the next meeting.
I have now given up on them and will go with GDF who was incredibly more
accommodating and easy to work with.  Also I do not really want a lab for
personal reasons and all Freedom trains are labs and collies and a collie
would not be a good match for my personality.  By going with GDF I could end
up with a lab x golden cross, a golden or another cross that they do which
are breeds and crosses I prefer.

Katrin

Katrin Andberg

Katrin at maplewooddog.com