[nagdu] training update

Ioana Gandrabur igandrabur at gmx.de
Fri May 21 01:57:19 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Thanks for your good wishes.

I never did blogs so I am not sure I want to get into it now but I am taking
a moment to give you some updates. Know from my own experience how fun to
read these accounts can be.

Today we did some building work and got the official licence to start
working them in the dorm. Hurrah! He still tries to go where he thinks I
might want to go rather than where I tell him but with encouraging
clarifications he gets it and listens better.
Did a buss to lounge (meaning that we are dropped off and have to find our
way back on a predetermined route where the instructors are spread out at
all intersections. He showed me an obstacle and I chose to go around it the
wrong way ending up on the street but stopped and tried the other way. He
was so exuberant that we cleared it that he slammed me in the next one.
(they are all set-ups by the cruel instructors!) Reworks are going well and
he remembers from one day to an other. I was relieved to catch him sniff and
be just simply a bit distracted for a second. Looking forward with a bit of
trepidation to when he'll start showing his true colours when he relaxes
into the work.

All in all things are great. tomorrow escalators with boots.
And God knows what else.
Oh we clicker trained them for finding chairs and he's doing well. I think
he head already some idea from training though because he also showed me the
trash-can. so I can't take the credit for it.

Very rough player. I will never win at tug of war wit him. So I am working
at having him release the ring when ever I want him to. He's not too happy
about it but I keep giving it back so it is not always the end of the game.
Quite a work out this strong pup.

Still wines a bit when I put him on tie-down but responds well to "quiet"..

I think that in 3 days we came a long way. Mainly because of good feedback
from instructor and clearly longer routs then in the big classes of GDB. BTw
someone asked me about where I got the dog form last time and the answer is
that Adrian was fro GDB. I begin to miss him. First days I could not really
understand how come I hear him bark on the phone when I have my guide dog
here. Now I am more aware that they really are 2 diffren dogs.

Well, sorry for the jumble of ideas. No time to edit too much.

I guess something chaotic is better than nothing. :)

Take care,

Ioana at San Rafael.

PS: someone asked where I got Adrian from. The answer is same place. gab
California.