[nagdu] GDF's step refusal

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue May 25 16:13:55 UTC 2010

Jenine,

Love your explanations.  And I'm glad to learn I'm not the only blind person
to get messed up by a head cold!  /lol/  I find myself trying to figure out
how my deafblind friends keep track of where they ae and what's going on to
help myself try to figure out the environment with my head all stuffed up.
But I still feel totally discombobulated at times like that.

So now I'm going to be paying attention next time I need to go down some
stairs...  That should be interesting.  /lol/  What we do works, and Mitzi
does seem to judge how oriented and balanced I am and whether I'm ready to
step down or not.  We don't go until she decides its okay.  So I guess we're
good.  /smile/

Now to convince people who are super helpful with the blind lady going up
the stair case and then expect us to race down willy nilly.  I guess in most
sighted people's minds, the steps up are scary and dangerous for blind
people because we could trip and fall up the stairs...  Don't have to worry
about that coming down.  /lol/  So they stand at the bottom and start
calling the dog while we're still getting set up now that they're out of the
way...  Along with instructions to me about holding on to the rail (it's
right there!  Just grab it!) and the like.  Really, it gets quite hectic.
Then when I get to the bottom, they criticize Mitzi for not minding and
suggest we do some work on obedience.

So then I tell them she did exactly as she should and toss of the phrase
"intelligent disobedience, or some call it selective disobedience."  Which
they don't really get, but they stop going on about how I need to teach my
dog obedience.  /smile/  And they seem to watch us more to observe how she
works, so that's all good.  /smile/  I think I will start tossing off the
words "shep refusal" there as well.  I leave out the bit where I have
specifically trained the dog to obey me and me only unless they push the
issue.  Of course, while all that is going on, I'm reinforcing Mitzi like
the wind for doing it right.  /lol/

Or maybe someday I will remember to coach the sighted ones about how we do
stairs before all that helpful intervention?  /lol/  DD kinda runs
interference, but he has a tendency to give in to the temptation to call the
dog, too.  So now when I'm out on my own and need to go down a flight of
stairs, I'm confused by the lack of sound cues from the bottom...  So Mitzi
has to wait longer for me to get all balanced and oriented.  She has to put
up with a lot, that dog.

Tami Smith-Kinney