[nagdu] Service dog helps control anxiety attacks

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Wed May 26 16:30:05 UTC 2010

Steve,

Staffordshire Bull Terriers would be a wonderful PSD.  They are very
stubborn; and you will have to spend lots of time training because
they are not automatic "people pleasers" like a lab or golden.
However they are very intend to their people's emotion and very
focused on safety.  In England, Staffordshire Bull Terriers are called
"nanny dogs" because they are so wonderful with children.  Very
tolerant and watchful but not reactive.
They are about 13-15 inches tall and weigh around 40 lbs so short,
broad and very well muscled.  I love this breed and if they were
bigger, and if I weren't so concerned about BSL (breed specific
legislation) and whether local BSL trumps ADA; I'd have one as a
service dog.  They are considered a "pit bull" which is not a breed,
but a grouping of breeds mainly consisting of the Staffordshire Bull
Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier and the American Pit Bull
Terrier.

The dog does sound like it does "tasks" and would qualify as a PSD and
not an ESA but sometimes it is a gray area.
The breed in general does have the right temperament for this work,
though and if I needed a PSD; a Staffy would be very high on my list.

Rox and the Herbal HenchHounds
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point
out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-
wit, and the emperor remains an emperor."-- Neil Gaiman
http://www.pawpowercreations.com/retreat.html
pawpower4me at gmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl