[nagdu] EXTERNAL:Re: major dilemma

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Fri Nov 12 17:14:03 UTC 2010

Bernadetta,
I am sorry this is happening to you.
A few thoughts that may or may not help.
Are you certain you want your dog going to your mom? I swore I'd do that
with my first dog, only to realize that I wanted another dog and I
couldn't bear seeing my old dog at Christmas, Thanksgiving and other
random family events. I can't tell you why, just that emotionally I
couldn't do it.
With my second dog, I wanted her to go to my parents house. They wanted
her too, and I was okay with seeing her be a pet dog. I can't quite
explain my difference in attitude, I think a lot of it was that I didn't
want a third dog, my daughter and dog were very close and Iknew that she
would at least want to see her. I also was looking forward to enjoy her
being a dog, something I can't say about my first.
Scotty on Star Trek sait it right, you never love quite that way again.
This is only bad if you let it affect you in a negative way.
You and your mom need to be on the same page here both emotionally,
practically and finantially. I say this because there is nothing quite
like how you feel about your first dog, there is  nothing like the
relationship you have with your mom, and because there is nothing worse
the a fight over money. If you guys get into a fight over any aspect of
this, it might do real harm.
I'd talk with your mom and I'd also suggest given your emotional state,
you talk with someone in person who has retired a dog. None of us can
really help you through this long-distance.  You may also want to talk
to a councelor.  I'd vote for a minister, one who shares your spiritual
beliefs about animals and their place and role in our universe.  You may
gain some valuable insights.
Finally, don't assume you'd spend the kind of $$$ required to do surgery
and chemo if only you had a job. I have a job, and I can tell you that
there's no way in heck I'd spend this kind of money. To number crunch, I
could pay my mortgage for close to two years given the kind of dough
you're expected to pay out. And, say what you may about "it's just a
house, and the dog is my best friend", that house also provides shelter
for myself and my family. So, it isn't as easy as having a job equals
having money/desire to go ahead with treatment.
Good luck with whatever you decide.