[nagdu] major dilemma

Bernadetta Pracon bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Sat Nov 13 19:21:02 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone:
Thanks so much for all the replies, and the great advice and compassion
I have received from you. I'm still in the process of deciding what to
do, but your messages have definitely given me some direction and some
resources to help me along this incredibly difficult journey. I haven't
talked to the Seeing Eye about financial help yet, but they do know
about the cancer. Thanks for the different grants some of you proposed
I look into. Does anyone know of any specific grants or associations in
Massachusetts that help service animals? I'm definitely going to look
into all the other grants, but I was thinking that if I found a
state-wide organization, they might be able to help quicker than the
nation-wide organizations. Just a thought. I also found out that the
hospital where Kipp is being treated, Angell Animal Hospital in Boston,
might be able to help me out financially since there an MSPCA
nonprofit. I haven't found out how much they can help yet though.
I do find that idea about nontraditional medicine interesting. Catrin,
I might write you off list to find out more about that, if you don't mind.

As for my mother taking kipp in after he retires, we've already
established that that would be the case when the time comes. She has
another dog at home, a Syberian Husky that i grew up with, so Kipp will
be in good company. I am planning to get a second dog after Kipp
retires, because I love working with a dog, and I love having one
around me. It's true that Kipp and I have a special bond, and that no
other   guide dog after him will quite compare, but I believe that we
all form a special bond with each new dog, that is quite unique from
every other one. Therefore, I'm not worried about seeing him at my
mom's after he retires and I aquire my next dog. It might be difficult
for a time, but at least  I'll be comforted by the feeling that he is
receiving great care from someone I've always known and trusted. I'd
love to keep him with me, but since circumstances don't permit that,
I'll take the second best option when the time comes.
Again, thanks all for the great responses, and know that I always
welcome any more thoughts, advice, or anything else you'd like to share
with me regarding this.

Sincerely,

Bernadetta