[nagdu] airports and security

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 25 17:00:07 UTC 2010

Marsha,

I am so sorry!

I've heard some of those details you mentioned, from supposedly reputable
sources -- including TSA folks being interviewed -- before all the hue and
cry got going and the TSA folks started stressing use of the term "pat down"
spoken in a reassuringly negligent tone....  I've been waiting to hear from
travelers I actually know who get the "pat down" before I make any decisions
about what I think and believe on the entire subject, and certainly before I
have to make any decisions about whether I want to subject myself to that
just to get somewhere.

An old-fashioned pat down is one thing.  I've only ever had one or two over
the years, and while I didn't find the experience uplifting or enjoyable, I
didn't have too many (or too strong) negative feelings during or afterward.
I have some personal space issues from childhood experiences, so was rather
surprised that I didn't have to deal with any jolts of extreme emotional
reaction from the process.  I did find myself wanting plenty of alone time
for the next few days and wanting to keep a few extra feet between myself
and other humans, but I figured a lot of that was just me.

This new procedure, though....  If it is as described, I'm going to need to
think long and hard about how much I really need to get anywhere in a hurry
before I decide to subject myself to the possibility of getting searched.
Hearing even a clinical description gives me the heebie jeebies, to be
honest.  No, thank you!

Again, I'm so sorry you have such a bad experience on top of traveling with
a sprained ankle.  Hope you have a speedy recovery and get back to your
regularly scheduled life.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney