[nagdu] Freedom for guide dogs

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 23:34:42 UTC 2010

My current guide is a Doberman and they are infamous for being food
snatchers.  Combine that characteristic with a malnourished dog who
never got food regularly and you get a counter surfer extrordenaire.
I made sure to keep all counters and tables clean.  Food on the floor
got picked up and if I needed to have food out the dog was either
confined or leashed to me.
I started setting up situations with the food on the table and
counters where I could give her opportunities to learn to make the
choices I would prefer she make.
I watched her very carefully; clicking and treating when she ignored
the food on the table or counter and redirecting or asking for an
incompatible behavior if I noticed her interest getting keen.
These sessions were always with me paying attention until she
consistently demonstrated her ability to ignore food.
Now she is allowed in the kitchen and for the most part does very
well; occasionally she reminds me to reinforce the behaviors I would
like to see.
If your dog is eating plants out of the garden, you may want to keep
him on long leash in the yard and reinforce the desired behavior and
interrupt the behaviors you don't, like digging or eating.
Good luck.

Rox and the Herbal HenchHounds:
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm
not sure about the universe."-Albert Einstein
http://www.pawpowercreations.com
pawpower4me at gmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl