[nagdu] Freedom for guide dogs

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Sat Nov 27 20:20:51 UTC 2010

Hi:

Bogart is pretty good off leash. As Tamara said, this might be a bit of a breed  thing since poodles tend to go out and come back and check in. But in the off leash area at the school I worked on this recall from the first time he was off leash. I always had a treat in hand  and made sure that I called him back many times without it meaning it was time to go and the fun over. At the off leash park by where I live I track him by his unique jingle of his tags. Also, he is often the dog barking at others  to get them to play with him. So I'll be standing there starting to wonder where Bogart is and then  I'll hear him bark and I can re focus to where he is at. He pretty much always comes when called but in a pooodle  way which means he gives it much thought be fore coming. My friends who have labs say they do not have the same luck so cannot go to off leash without a sighted person. I don't know if bogart realizes that it is  his good recall that allows me to take him off leash by myself at a place we are comfortable at. also, we are starting to know some of the other dogs and owners so that is helful as well.

Gary